Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rhodr "Mawr"

As many of you know, Tyson and I are now expecting. We are 24 weeks and 3 days as of today and we are having a boy! When trying to agree on names we stumbled on a name that was slightly unusual, but we both loved it. It was my way of compramising with Tyson since he didn't like the names I have had picked out since childhood, and I could not name my child after the parts of a dirt bike. So, I went to a baby names website, searched under anything I could find with a meaning that had something to do with motorcycles, and found the name "Rhodri" which means: Circle ruler or King of Wheels. At first it was just a name I threw at him, but then we both decided we really liked it. After doing a little more research I found that the name comes from a Welsh King, which I thought was great since I am part Welsh.

When I was telling my mom about this story she said, "Make sure it's not a bad king!" which I hadn't even thought to look up before. Slightly panicked that this name could potentially be no good, I went straight to wikipedia to find out what I could. I was relieved to find that King Rhodri was in fact a well beloved king of the Welsh people. You can find more information on him at these lovely websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodri_the_Great

http://www.castlewales.com/rhodri.html

Rhodri's Castle:



Later, when visiting with my mom and dad just a few weeks ago, my mom and I were doing some family research and found that we are descendants of Rhodri "Mawr" (Welsh for Great) not just once, but several times over. In fact we are related to all 3 of his sons. So, I can formally say "It's a family name."  Ha ha.

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome, unique name. The history geek in me loves the story behind the name too. I'm excited for you two!

    ReplyDelete